March 23, 2012

Video: Amon Düül II - Phallus Dei


Over spring break I amassed an enormous stack of new records. Some I purchased at Permanent Records in Chicago, others were given to me by my cousin in trade for two cartons of Parliament Light cigarettes, others were loaned to me indefinitely by my uncle, and some had arrived in the mail from Twist and Shout while I was gone and were waiting for me when I got home. Then I discovered that my needle was shot, and it took a week for a new one to arrive in the mail, so I had to wait and stare at all these new records while I subsisted with my meager supply of CDs. When the needle finally arrived I was desperate and panicky. I didn't know what to listen to first. I went with Golden Calves' Money Band, which was wonderful. But some of the records were awful, some of the free ones from my cousins, and one of the ones I bought, a Shepherds record I will likely keep because I'm loyal to Woods. There is such a thing as too many records. I'm beginning to think it's best to get just a few and really study them. One of the new disks I'll be studying in the coming weeks is Amon Düül II's Phallus Dei. It's one of the new ones from Twist and Shout, a 1972 UK edition. The video above is the last few minutes of either side one or side two, I can't remember. It's far out. There are many versions available.

No comments:

Post a Comment