April 15, 2012

West in Dust 2012


Full disclosure: my wife designed that cover, though my own dignity would prevent me from writing up something I didn't genuinely care for, I assure you. Really. Fledgling Oakland imprint West in Dust needs no nepotism, curated as it is by two of the leading handmaidens in the city's burgeoning electronic scene, the ever charming producer Rave Deep (of Elephant & Castle) and our close personal friend Glenn Jackson, a writer for XLR8R focused on the emerging pre-teen wing of the UK's jewel studded dance hall scene (joke?). West in Dust is their ambitious debut, culling tracks from an international network of friends that run the gamut from the pristine and produced to the more grainy and obscure, though all share in spades the label's professed interest in the splendors of house music and inventive approaches to beats and beat-making. Jackson's experience as a writer and blogger is a perceptible force on the new compilation, best felt with its lead track, a contribution from talented and versatile producer Ra Cailum, who some may know as a perennial internet favorite of several years.

MP3: Ra Cailum - わかりません。
My pet internet translates that as "I do not understand" - grab the rest of the compilation for free from the label's bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment