June 5, 2012

Premiere: Wet Hair - Camouflage


The new Wet Hair LP Spill Into Atmosphere is going to splash down any day now. Meantime, here's a premiere of the first hit single and video, "Camouflage." I've listened to 11 seconds of it. It begins with a jaunty bass line, strummed, so it sounds kind of like a guitar. Or it could be a guitar played low to sound like a bass. I don't know. I wasn't there when they recorded it. At the eight-second mark, the synth kicks in. I listened for three more seconds and then I hit stop. I can tell already this is going to be a great one, I don't want to ruin the first listen experience. This one's got to be vinyl the whole way. I'll say this about those first 11 seconds, though: they were catchy. And I don't think "catchy" is a word that has ever been used to describe Wet Hair's music. I know my dip into the waters of this record have been brief, but I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say this will continue the trajectory the band set sail on with last year's In Vogue Spirit: more pleasantly strange, less relentlessly weird, and, above all, much greater command of their sound.

Stream: Wet Hair - Camouflage

Pre-order today at De Stijl.

No comments:

Post a Comment