August 10, 2012

Thugs Intro, Dreamland Wakes

Following on the June release of their debut 7" with Parlour Records, London duo Yola Fatoush have their new album Thugs Intro, Dreamland Wakes out in the latest "batch" from LA's Deathbomb Arc, a continuation of their melding alternative methodologies with dance music; a "DIY" impulse that's made London a shade more "tribal" if my experience with write-ups on good beat oriented pop from the UK is any indicator. Not that they're the only offender or that it's an offense, really. The structure of their beats are well disposed to suit the atmosphere of individual songs. Opener "Yola Jam 1" is a fast paced tilt toward the more complex innards of the album, decorating a simple beat with the dread, projectile wheeze of an organ. Keys seem to be a recurring interest that are used to good effect, as with their airy but confident synths on "Stop Shining" or the casio accompaniment to Kit Mason's vocals. "I Like" is an enigmatic closer to the album, though the cavernous chants add an interesting new dimension to British "tribalism" (hah), suggesting a regional affinity for the impulse. Plenty of album reviews will say "chant" or "chant like", but "I Like" is not an instance of that. The sound is a little too actually-Gregorian to discount a meaningful connection; I know if I were somewhere that I could readily hear High Mass sung in an historic cathedral, I would be interested, and if I lived in the area, I couldn't imagine having grown up the same. Deathbomb was kind enough to let me share an mp3 of "I Like", but I wanted to make sure you guys got a full album stream so that the album's distinctive end was not taken for the tone of the whole album.



You can get Thugs Intro, Dreamland Wakes in Deathbomb Arc's Summer 2012 Batch; also included is the debut physical release from Clipping, featuring Jonathan Snipes of Captain Ahab and William Hutson of Rale on electronics, and minimal beats from Denver's Alphabets.

No comments:

Post a Comment