September 10, 2012

Total Loss

I've been waiting eagerly to listen to Total Loss, the newest record from Tom Krell, bka How To Dress Well. In 2010 Love Remains wooed me to no end. It was my favorite album of the year, and just last night I revisited the record in all of it's infinite beauty. With that said, I have had some obviously high hopes for Total Loss, and everything I'd heard up until this point indicated I would love this new record just as much. Thankfully I couldn't have been more correct. While it's set to drop on September 18 via Acéphale (North America) & Weird World (worldwide),  today the folks at Electronic Beats have premiered the first stream of Total Loss in full, and I am floating. The new songs are still rooted in the minimalistic R&B vibes that Krell has been achieving for years, but there is also a new air of confidence about these tracks that didn't fully exist on Love Remains. His voice is less shrouded by the ambiance of the production, allowing us to more fully experience the (oft heartbreaking) beauty in his words and delivery. I'm only on my second listen, and I plan on spending a lot more time with Total Loss to fully absorb it, but I can already say with  utmost certainty that this is one of the best records of the year, if not the best. HTDW will be hitting the road for the US and then Europe this October with o F F Love in support of Total Loss, including a stop here in Wilmington at The Soapbox on October 12. Stay tuned after the jump for a more complete listing of shows.

Stream: How To Dress Well - Total Loss
Total Loss is available to pre-order now via Acéphale (North America) & Weird World (worldwide).

Tour Dates:
10/03 Grand Rapids, MI @ TBA
10/04 Toronto, ONT @ Great Hall
10/05 Montreal, QC @ Club Lambi
10/06 Middletown, CT @ Eclectic House
10/07 Boston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
10/08 New York, NY @ Santos
10/10 Philadelphia, PA @ Johnny Brenda’s
10/11 Washington, DC @ Rock & Roll Hotel
10/12 Wilmington, NC @ The Soapbox
10/18 Gent, Belgium @ Charlatan
10/19 Brussels, Belgium @ AB Club
10/20 Amsterdam, NL @ Paradiso
10/22 Malmo, Sweden @ Inkonst
10/23 Oslo, Norway @ Bla
10/24 Stockholm, Sweden @ Fargfabriken
10/25 Copenhagen, Denmark @ Pumpehuset
10/26 Aarhus, Denmark @ Train
10/27 Hamburg, Germany @ Turmzimmer
10/29 Berlin, Germany @ Bi Nuu
10/30 Munich, Germany @ Kranhalle
10/31 Luzern, Switzerland @ Sudpol
11/02 Dublin, Ireland @ Twisted Pepper
11/03 Manchester, UK @ Soup Kitchen
11/05 London, UK @ XOYO

No comments:

Post a Comment