October 23, 2012

Stream: Sumsun Live in The Boiler Room

In preparation for our coverage of Asheville's third annual Moogfest creeping up, a lot of North Carolina love has been swelling up in my heart lately. Judson Rogers, aka Sumsun, holds the title for being one of the most fantastic up and coming musicians to look out for. Originally from Florida, Judson has spent many summers composing in his mountain retreat near Asheville. I first met him with Jheri at Moog two years ago, where we got to stay with him and see his inspirational workspace, over looking a majestic lake.  This last summer, he released a new EP, simply titled 2012 EP, while working his day job as a farm hand at a local apple orchard. It became the soundtrack of my summer, and it is definitely on my list for one of the best works I have heard this year. Now, before we have a chance to get out our fall jackets, Judson has been on tour with Sleigh Bells, and before that happened to be touring on his own all the way out in California. Earlier today, I listened to a 45-minute set he played back in August at The Boiler Room in LA, and it fills me with envy that I have yet to actually see him play live. Available for stream and/or download, Sumsun can once again set the mood of the season as a time for suddenly seeing how beautiful everything in the world is.

No comments:

Post a Comment